Ontario Graduate Scholarships 2024-2025
The Ontario Graduate Scholarships program offers, merit based, annual Scholarships to eligible students who will pursue graduate studies in order to complete a master’s degree, PhD or doctorate at a university in Ontario, Canada. This year’s awards program has been opened for students across the globe to apply for this scholarship opportunity. This article hereby seeks to address the many questions as to the processes in applying for the scholarship.
The programme encourages excellence in graduate study at Ontario’s publicly funded universities. The scholarship programme is co-funded by the Ontario government and the participating universities. The government donates two-thirds of the award amount, while the university contributes the remaining one-third.
- The student must satisfy eligibility criteria and maintain a minimum academic standard of an “A−” or 80% average
- The student application must be accompanied by two academic assessment reports completed by professors who act as a reference for the student.
- Each professor assesses several characteristics of the candidate student, specifically background preparation, originality, ability at research, research potential, industriousness, judgement, oral and written skills, and overall ability, of students at a similar stage previously evaluated by that professor.
- The Ontario Graduate Scholarships are open to both domestic and foreign students. According to the rules, the candidate must be:
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident at the time of application; and
- A foreign student studying at a university in Ontario who has a valid Canadian study permit.
- Before being awarded the scholarship, the candidate must have an A–Average (the Ontario equivalent of 80%) in both years of full-time study.
- Candidates must be enrolled in a full-time postgraduate course that is:
60% or more of a full course load as prescribed by the university
40% or more for students with disabilities.
- Candidates must be proficient in English by the time of application.
- Candidates pursuing master’s courses can receive the scholarship for 2 years while those pursuing doctoral courses may receive the scholarship for 4 years.
- A single candidate cannot avail of two government-funded scholarships together.
Application Requirements for Ontario Graduate Scholarships
A complete application package will include:
- The application form, which includes personal data, education information, notice, consent, declaration and applicant signature, and any additional information
- Official university transcripts of applicable undergraduate and graduate studies to the end of November of the year in which application is submitted
- Two academic assessment reports, which must be completed and signed by the referees, and which may contain attachments which must also be completed and signed by the referees
- Temporary Resident Visa Student Class documentation for foreign applicants with a student visa
- The student checklist, which must be signed by the applicant
- A summary sheet signed by the applicant either a Statement of Interest or a Plan of Study
- A list of significant academic accomplishments
- A list of awards and scholarships received by the student
How to Apply for Ontario Graduate Scholarships
Candidates who meet the eligibility criteria can apply for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship by following a step-by-step application process. The application process for the same is given below:
1. Candidates must be updated about the latest deadline on the official website.
2. The form can be accessed by candidates through the online portal.
3. Candidates must carefully fill up the application form and upload the required documents the portal asks for.
4. Finally, candidates are requested to submit the application form. Thus, successfully completing the application process.
Application closes on November 2024
We hope that this article has been of help to you. THANK YOU