University of British Columbia (UBC) Public Scholars Award 2024-2025
Are you interested in studying at University of Bristish Columbia? The University of British Columbia (UBC) Public Scholars Award is welcoming new applicants to its scholarship award which enables the deprived in society to have access to higher education in their choice of field.
This award is part of the UBC Public Scholars Initiative (PSI) which intends to build connections, community, and capacity for doctoral students who are interested in explicitly linking their doctoral work to an arena of public benefit and integrating broader and more career-relevant forms of scholarship into their doctoral education process. Up to $10,000 twice, for a total of $20,000 per student is available to support innovative/collaborative scholarship which the student would otherwise be unable to pursue. Funding can be used for:
A research allowance (including allowance for professional development or travel relevant to the scholarly work)
Student stipend, if the student’s current funding source would not allow the alternative project(s)
Eligibility for University of British Columbia (UBC) Public Scholars Award
For a candidate to be eligible for University of British Columbia Public Scholars Award, the candidate must meet the following:
- UBC Vancouver doctoral students (PhD, EdD, and DMA) in years 1-5 and UBC Okanagan doctoral students in years 1-5
- Applicants must have completed no more than 48 months of doctoral study as of 31 August 2023
- Applicants must be registered in a UBC doctoral program as of 1 September 2023
- Applicants in their 6th year (48 to 60 months of doctoral study) will be accepted only in the most exceptional circumstances
Requirements for all funded students:
- Submission of a report at the end of their first (and if applicable, second) year of funding
- Presentation of their work at a Network event PhDs Go Public.
All students, faculty, and collaborators will be asked to complete a questionnaire at the end of their funding/involvement. Student dissertations and student completion and career outcomes will also be reviewed as part of the assessment of this pilot initiative.
How to Apply for University of British Columbia (UBC) Public Scholars Award
The following are the steps to follow in the application process
1. Download these 2 files from the link below (under the ‘Further Information’ section): PSI Fellowship Application; and PSI Fellowship Application Instructions.
2. Once the form is downloaded you can edit and save the form by renaming it. Name your application: LastName_FirstName_PSI
3. Following the guidelines, complete the Application form. Please note that each section (“Outline of Proposed Scholarly Work” and “Relationship of Proposal to PSI Goals”) is individually capped at 4000 characters and 1 page.
4. Upload the completed PSI Fellowship Application form and your Canadian Common CV as one pdf file (see instructions for details) to this page. The page is a Qualtrics form that will require 5 minutes to complete once all your documents are ready to be uploaded. Please read the Overview section on that page carefully before proceeding to ensure your application is submitted correctly.
5. For the mandatory supervisor letter of support and the optional letter(s) of support from collaborators, your letter writers should go to this page. You can open the page and share the link with them.
Application closes on November 2024
We appreciate your time spent on our page and we believe that our article has set the purpose of your time spent in here.
For more information on University of Columbia public scholarships, click here.